Friday, May 20, 2011

Eminem


No matter what, there is always going to be a battle of the classes. Oftentimes in modern society, hip-hop music is seen as deviant by the outside world because of what it promotes. On the other hand, society glamorizes rapper, Eminem, almost always when it comes down to declaring "the best rapper of our current time". People are quick to point out the good in Eminem lyrics rather than the bad. This is an example of of stratification by race. Because Eminem is a White rapper, his music is not seen as negatively as his Black counter parts. The troubling reality, according to lecture, hate offenses continue to exist. As evident, Black rappers are still seen as deviant more than White rappers are like Eminem.

Sample Eminem lyrics:
Roman's Revenge by Nicki Minaj (Feat. Eminem)
"So finally I broke down and bought her an iPod 
And caught her stealin' my music, so I tied her arms and legs to the bed 
Set up the camera and pissed twice on her 
Look, two pees and a tripod! 
The moral to the story is, life's treatin' you like dry sod? 
Kick it back in its face, my God" 
Versus
J. Cole  lyrics:
"Always thought my first time would be with someone I cared about
But being a virgin was something to be embarrassed bout
I used to ask for practice so I wasn't scared out my mind
You call it rhymes I call it clearing out my mind
Was just a young boy staring out my blind
Till I got free from my momma leash
Running loose through the streets
Like a stray dog in heat"

No comments:

Post a Comment